[SOLVED] Exchange Corrupt Database

Print this post Email this post

For those MS Exchange experts out there, don’t laugh at me. It basically started when I was overly excited when we had a new server (dual Quad Core Xeon with 8GB of RAM) finally came to replace our old webserver. I plugged the beast into the power strip and boot it up using the Feisty Fawn live CD. Guess what happens, after loading the GUI, the UPS makes a long beep for about 10 seconds and then the socket trips. Five non-critical servers went down in flames together with Exchange. I re-arranged the power cords and booted everything up. Everything seems fine, except for Exchange.

At first, i thought that it was most probably a store didn’t mount propperly. Nothing a Eseutil repair won’t fix. After trying to repair to no avail, I tried to defrag it. Still doesn’t work. At this point I start to panic. Yes, I am a N00b Exchange Admin… I tried almost every options when I realize I have a backup, but it’s from last night.

So far I’ve been blessed with a great stable system that always fix itself with a reboot. This is the first time I have to do a hard recovery. I was having trouble doing a hard recovery. Most of the terms used was foreign. I saw that the Media Creation Date was ancient (latest is Feb 07), but my last backup was run at 1 am today (June 7). It took me about 20 minutes before I start searching the “Scheduled Job” and look at the details. The Media Creation Date I should have used, for some reason, is some time in October 2006. Then I don’t know what to put for the temp folder, so I just use a generic “C:\Program Files”. Then it finally restores… *GREAT I thought…*

I waited about 30 minutes for the restore. BTW, the server room AC was busted so it was 95 degrees in there with floor fans pushing the air out. After a grueling 30 minutes, I tried to mount it. It doesn’t work. I tried to do repair (/r), recovery (/cc), defrag, etc, but nothing works.

I finally take the time to read through the hard recovery procedure on technet. I finally realized that I need to move the .env file and some .log files from the “temporary folder” (the one I set to “C:\Program Files” which in turns create a subfolder) to the folders with the “.edb” file then run “eseutil /cc”. It was the longest and scariest moment of a N00b Exchange Admin. Luckily we didn’t lose any mail. Incoming mails are held by a border postfix server, and the mails between the restore and the failure are stored in the archive. For next writeup, I’ll write more about the archive system we’re using from Waterford Technology.

Be Sociable, Share!

Tags: , , , , , , ,

Leave a Reply

You must be logged in to post a comment.